Utah Courts' Online Resources
- Utah State Court Rules : Includes civil procedures, small claims procedures, court-annexed alternative dispute resolution, criminal procedure, appellate procedure, juvenile procedure, rules of evidence, code of judicial administration, Supreme Court rules of professional practice. Also includes the notices of rule changes: redline texts of proposed amendments published for comment, redline texts of approved amendments, and history of rule amendments.
- Utah State Courts' Home Page : The main page for Utah State Courts includes self-help resources, online services, new items, jury room (juror information), court filing fees, victim information notification (VINE), etc. Also includes a link to "live and on demand" audio from the Utah Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.
- Finding Legal Help : Includes agencies & organizations, alternative dispute resolution (ADR), attorneys, avoiding litigation, changing lawyers, LawHelp.org, limited legal help, law libraries, legal clinics, legal research, limited legal help, mediation, and a narrated tour of the resources (5 minutes).
- Fines (Utah Courts Internet Payment System) : To search for cases with payments due, need court case number or citation number to find case and then make electronic payment.
- Forms (Utah State Courts Forms and Instructions) : Includes civil filing fees cover sheet (PDF). Includes adoptions, appeals, child custody, child support, child welfare, civil--general, conservatorship, criminal, custody, evaluation, divorce, emancipation of a minor, expungement, garnishment, guardianship, landlord-tenant, mediation, military--default judgments, military--lawsuits involving military service members, military & veterans page, name change, non-public information forms, parentage, paternity, power of attorney, probate, protective orders, service of process, stalking (civil), small claims, subpoena forms, temporary orders, waiver of court fees, waiver of parental consent--abortion, wrongful liens. Additional forms include court-specific forms, additional forms sources, applications for employment (interpreters, mediators, and judicial positions).
- Legal Clinics, Agencies, and Organizations : Includes statewide resources, contact information for the free legal clinics, agencies & organizations, avoiding litigation, attorneys, and going to court. Includes the Senior Legal Helpline information. Agencies & organizations include: American Civil Liberties Union, Community Mediation Center, Disability Law Center, DNA--People's Legal Services, immigration law, Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake, Small Claims Court mediation programs, Utah Crime Victims legal Clinic, Utah dispute resolution, and Utah Legal Services.
- Utah State Law Library : Find (Know what you are looking for?), ask (Not sure what you are looking for?), get (Want us to send you something?), and learn (Want to learn about the law? -- classes & tours, Law Library blog, Utah legal research, Federal legal research).
- Mediation : Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) mediation / arbitration : What is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)?, information about mediation services, mediation services, and information for mediators and arbitrators.
- Online Court Assistance Program (OCAP) : Includes divorce, divorce stipulation, parentage, child support calculator, enforcement of domestic orders, landlord-tenant cases, protective orders, protective orders on behalf of a child, civil stalking, guardianship of a minor, guardian/conservator exam, guardian/conservator inventory & annual reporting, guardian/conservator termination, and employer's answers to garnishment interrogatories.
- Self-Help Resources / Self-Represented Parties : Includes Who can I represent?, online court assistance program, consumer law, court rules & procedures, criminal justice, families & children, finding legal help, housing, juvenile justice, life planning & probate, military & veterans, protection from abuse, resources, United State government agencies, Utah government agencies, court forms & instructions.
- XChange : Includes XChange case lookup. XChange is a fee-based subscription to all district court case information and some justice court case information. Xchange provides summary information about the cases covered in this subscription. Also includes: how to use XChange, using XChange, and access to district court records at the courthouse.
Other Utah Online Resources
- Consumer Protection (Utah Division of Consumer Protection) : Includes complaints, forms & registrations, scams & buyer beware, and consumer information; as well as Current issues and Frequently asked questions.
- Federal Court (United States District Court for the District of Utah) : Includes rule correction notices, amendments to Federal rules, and electronic summons. Also links to PACER that provides public access to docket sheet and case-related scanned documents. Includes ADR program, attorney/bar, case informatlion, calendars, court information, electronic case-filing, FAQ, forms, judges, judicial misconduct, jury services, rules, transcripts, outreach & education, and links to bankruptcy and Tenth Court.
- Find a Utah Lawyer Directory (Utah State Bar) : Includes forms, information, FAQ, attorney signup, etc.
- Utah Labor Commission : Includes information on divisions, employees, employers, carriers, providers, calendar, downloads, FAQ, and contact.
- Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing (DOPL) : Includes DOPL news; apply, renew, and verify a license; change name/address; obtain duplicate license; obtain ceremonial certificate; obtain disciplinary file; view laws & rules; apply for a licensee list; file a complaint; access CSDB program; contact DOPL.
- Utah Division of Public Utilities : Regarding electric, telecom, natural gas, water/sewer, pipeline safety, railroad, and Public Service Commission. Includes news and information for consumer rights & responsibilities, news archives, energy incentives, and energy assistance.
- Utah Code : Search statutes in the Utah Code or constitutional provisions in the Constitution: Utah Code by chapter, title, & section; Utah Code and Constitution by keyword; Utah Code recodifications; Utah Constitution; Utah Constitutional Convention; and Utah Territorial laws, 1847-1888 & Session laws, 1890-1892.
- Utah Legal Services : Includes: For help? (Do I qualify? Can ULS help me? Can I help myself?); Volunteer (spotlight, opportunities, login); and about ULS (Director's message, Frequently asked questions, Donate!).
Utah State Law Library Contact Information
- Call the Utah State Law Library: 801-238-7990.
- Email the Utah State Law Library: email@example.com
- Text the Utah State Law Library: 801-432-0TXT (0898)
- Chat with the Utah State Law Library: www.utcourts.gov/lawlibrary/contact
- Facebook page: Utah State Law Library
NOTE: The basic above information was taken from a brief handout distributed by the Utah State Law Library, March 2010.