Some basic rules for ASA citations are:
- All citations should be double spaced
- Indent after the first line of each entry
- Entries are not numbered
- Alphabetize by the first word of the entry
- A reference list follows the text and footnotes in a separate section headed References.
- If no date is available, use N.d. in place of the date. If the cited material is unpublished but has been accepted for publication, use Forthcoming in place of the date and give the name of the publisher or journal.
- Include the state abbreviation only if the city of publication is not clear. Also, when the publisher name includes the location, the state abbreviation is not needed.
- Use Vol. # (i.e. Vol. 3), if using a specific volume in a collected works.